The RUS Service has been developed and is operated on behalf of EC and ESA by a consortium led by CS SI (Fr) and involving Along-Track (Fr), Noveltis (Fr), Serco SpA (It), and CS Romania (Ro).
For more than 35 years, CS SI and its Space Business Unit have been successfully delivering turnkey systems and providing engineering services for space and its applications markets. With a workforce of 300 engineers gathering advanced and unique skills in both information technologies and space data engineering, CS SI is a recognized prime contractor and a major and proven long-term trusted partner for space agencies, satellite operators and space application actors.
CS SI has a recognized expertise in end-to-end image processing and image quality systems in the wide field of Earth observation. Its ambitious R&D policy is focused on customers’ major goals regarding instruments, algorithms, technologies and operational aspects. By combining its skills in these various areas of excellence, CS SI is able to meet its customers’ challenges, which include geospatial intelligence and environmental data management also based on Geographical Information Systems (GIS).
In the frame of RUS, CS SI acts as:
- Prime contractor, ensuring the coordination of all the activities between ESA and the consortium as well as within the latter;
- RUS Service Manager, being therefore responsible for the coordination of the technical tasks requested to run the service smoothly;
- ICT Manager, ensuring the management of all the ICT resources deployed to satisfy the RUS users;
- Sentinel-2 Support Service Manager, providing support about data, algorithm and prototype development or data processing in relation with the Sentinel-2 mission.
Along-Track is a young research oriented SME in the field of Earth observation and remote sensing. It performs internal as well as external R&D studies and develops prototypes in the field of remote sensing with a specific target on space hydrology and sea-ice.
In the frame of RUS, Along-Track will provide support services for Sentinel-1, including:
- Basic Support Services for an efficient use of Sentinel-1 data and other missions data in the fields of altimetry, hydrology and sea ice, and more particularly a synergistic use with Sentinel-3 data;
- Development Support Services for Sentinel-1 algorithm and prototype development in the fields of altimetry, hydrology and sea ice;
- Processing Support Services for the processing of large amounts of Sentinel-1 data in the same fields.
Along-Track will also contribute to training activities by providing support and technical expertise related to Sentinel-1 data, use cases and applications.
Noveltis, a French independent private company created in 1998, performs innovative scientific engineering studies and implements customized end-user solutions in the fields of space, the environment and sustainable development.
Serco Group plc is a worldwide company specialised in the management and operation of outsourced services for the public and private sectors. Since its formation, Serco has consistently supported the space activities of national and international agencies, including ESA since early 1970’s and Eumetsat since 1995. With more than 37 years of experience in the space business, Serco is among the top 50 World Space Manufacturing and Service companies.
In the frame of RUS, Serco acts as:
- User Training Leader: providing a structured approach targeted to specific communities and offering face-to-face and online training courses using RUS Virtual Machines;
- Outreach and Promotion Responsible: preparing and disseminating material, attending major EO events and conferences aimed at increasing awareness of Sentinels data and their usage, capturing new Copernicus users and developing the capabilities of existing users;
- Sentinel-1 Land Support Service Manager: providing dedicated support to users in order to accommodate as much as possible their requests to enable the integration of Sentinel-1 algorithms and tools in the RUS ICT;
- User Data Access Facilitator: supporting fast and efficient user access to the Sentinels data products through the exploitation of internal synergies with the DHuS archive services.
CS Romania, member of CS Group, is a provider of software development and maintenance services based on customer requirements and outsourcing services in all the three geographical modalities: offshore, near-shore and inshore, with its engineers being at the forefront of technological innovation. The services address primarily 4 industries: Aeronautics, Space, Intelligent Transportation and Energy.
With strong references from major players working in these fields, CS Romania is strongly involved in software development projects such as flight display systems, digital engine control, cartography, flight warning systems, flight data processing and flight dynamics… and implements high standards in developing, testing and maintaining software applications and information systems.
In the frame of RUS, CS Romania mainly focuses its contribution on the setting up and the implementation of the RUS portal enabling the users to access and manage the different components of the offered service.